The International Research and Education Participation (IREP) Program assists students in developing an understanding of global perspectives critical to the future of the STEM workforce through international research experiences. IREP encourages students to seek funding and assemble a package of support through multiple sources, and New Mexico AMP provides small scholarships to complete the total funding needs.
To qualify for this support, students must work with their research mentors (domestic and international) to plan the project and determine anticipated expenses. Many students begin this process with the support of their faculty mentor, who may have funding as well as international collaborators through his or her research program. Students are expected to leverage funding from multiple sources to support their international experience. The NM AMP Institutional Coordinator is available to assist students to identify funding opportunities and to support the planning process.
Any student in a partner 2- or 4-year institution majoring in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) major is eligible to apply. The National Science Foundation (NSF) sets the preference for participants of the IREP program as those who have been historically underrepresented in STEM: Hispanic or Latinos, African Americans or Blacks, Alaskan Natives, American Indians, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders. Further qualifications include:
- U.S. citizenship or status as a national, refugee alien, or permanent resident per NSF guidelines
- At the time of application, be enrolled full-time (12 credit hours)
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Present at the New Mexico AMP Conference (typically in October).
- You may be asked to complete an online survey upon your return.
- You may be asked to participate in a Focus Group to share your experience and help us to evaluate success of the IREP Scholars leveraging funding opportunity.
- You may be asked to complete a “Trip Report” (a form that asks you information on your experience & knowledge gained from your trip.
- Approved “out of pocket” expenses will only be reimbursed with receipts.
How Do I Apply?
To apply for the New Mexico AMP IREP Scholars funding, please contact your Institutional Coordinator.