2020 Spring URS Application will be open from November 1st, 2019 through February 10th, 2020! Please apply through the NM AMP Student Portal!
The Undergraduate Research Scholars (URS) program, available on several campuses statewide, supports students in faculty-mentored research projects and provides professional development and preparation for internships, graduate school, and/or the workforce. Participating students receive training in presentation development and encouragement to present research at national conferences, including New Mexico AMP Student Research Conference. The URS program also prepares students to consider opportunities to pursue a graduate degree.
Any student (4-year institution) majoring in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) major is eligible to apply. Preference will be given to minority students who historically have been underrepresented in STEM such as:
- African Americans or Blacks,
- American Indians or Alaska Natives
- Hispanic or Latinos
- Native Hawaiians or Pacific Islanders.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- U.S. citizenship or status as a national, refugee alien, or permanent resident per NSF guidelines
- Full-time enrollment in a STEM discipline
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 at the beginning of each semester of URS support
- Commitment to the project for a minimum of one year (contingent on progress and continuing eligibility)
- A strong interest in and potential for graduate studies is also considered
Have questions about the program or how to apply?
Contact the institutional coordinator of your institution.